Gallery

29 September 2011

Embrace scroll shelf brackets-Part2

 Hi Everyone,

I have finally started to cut out all the parts I will need for the two shelf brackets. They consist of two mitered parts for the brackets and a larger blank for the scroll design. I had to make sure that all parts are cut true and square for the shelf the sit level on the brackets. When you start with nice square parts, the rest of the project will be a joy.


Checking to see if all the parts are square before I attach the paper patterns

Not only do I make sure that the wood parts are square I also have to make sure that the patterns are cut square to align to the wood blank

To join the scroll to the mitered brackets I use dowels in the appropriate sections for added strength.  I use a dowel jig to guide the drill bit square and centered into the wood. 

The drilled dowel holes. In this case I am using 3/8" diameter dowels.

Now all I have to do is to find the position of the mating dowel holes in the bracket members. I use dowel centers to find the exact location of the holes. 


I hope you will join me next time for part 3!

Thanks for looking!
Roshaan

No comments: