Gallery

26 September 2011

Embrace scroll shelf brackets - Part1

Hello Everyone,

I love custom work! It definitely keeps your mind ticking.

My next exciting project is a pair of scrolled shelf brackets made out of oak. My client requested that I take inspiration from a wonderful print called the "Embrace" by Gustav Klimpt which will hang across from the shelf. The print is vibrant with amazing color and wild scrolls and shapes and it's just a visual playground. I lifted a portion of the scroll from the print and gave it my own twist - no pun intended :)



I gave my client quite a few options and she chose the one pictured above. From the 1/4 scale drawings I had to enlarge the chosen pattern to a workable full scale pattern. 
With every hardwood (as apposed to veneered sheet goods) project I like to acclimatize the wood to my workshop for a couple of days before I make my first cut. Keep in mind that it's coming from the lumber yard to my shop and then to my clients home - so it's travelling through various temperatures. 

I have a nice wide piece of oak selected for the scroll and and a narrower board for the mitered brackets. 

I can't wait to get started, so please join me next time for part 2!

Thanks for looking!

Roshaan


No comments: