Gallery

12 March 2011

Raven inlay Jewelry and Make-up Boxes-Part 12

Hello,

In this part I will be installing the lock on the jewelry box. This takes precise measurements to ensure that everything lines up for the lock to function properly.




Before I tackle the lock however, I have to make sure that all the elements are in place, especially on the interior of the box. I make sure to glue the wooden risers in place first. Since it is awkward to use any kind of clamps to clamp the pieces in place, a very simple trick is to use thin strips of hardwood and flex it so that it wedges the parts and acts as a clamping mechanism.


After the glue dries I am now ready for the lock. This lock is known as a full mortise lock, since I have to cut a deep mortise for the locking mechanism to sit in. I made a simple drilling guide to help me locate the ends of the brass plate and the mechanism. The nice thing about this jig is that I can just line up the center line to the center of the base and the lid. This ensures that both brass plates line up perfectly.




Now it's just a matter of defining the edges of the shallow mortise with a marking gauge and using a palm router to clear away the bulk of the material. I use a chisel to clean up the rest.




After I cleaned up the shallow mortise for the brass plate I can now cut the deep mortise for the locking mechanism. I do this by drilling overlapping holes using the drill press. I then use a sharp chisel to square all sides of the mortise. This operation also applies to the lid, but the only difference is the depth of the mortise. The lid only requires a shallow mortise to ensure clearance for the arm of the lock.



Here I am installing both brass plates. Also notice that I have drilled and shaped the keyhole.
Please join me next time for the finale of the box duo project!
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan






No comments: