Gallery

22 November 2010

Alberta Rose Recipe Box - Part 6

Hello,

In this part I will concerntrate on finishing off the box, by doing some final sanding, attaching hardware such as the brass stop hinge, the latch and also attaching the solid brass handle.



In the last part I cut away the lid from the box bottom. Since I left that little sliver I had to complete the seperation by using a handsaw. The picture above shows the seperated parts, with the rough edge left behind.

The way I clean the rough edge left by the handsaw, is by roughly flushing the egde with a chisel or block plane and then cleaning the edges further with sandpaper. My trick for getting a perfectly flat edge is the take the piece to sandpaper instead of taking sandpaper to the piece. I simply attach a full piece of sandpaper to a perfectly flat surface by using temporary bond spray adhesive. You could use a flat board of mdf or better yet a piece of thick glass.



After all the edges of the lid and box bottom were sanded flat, I then routed a shallow recess to house the stop hinge. I mark the outline of the hinge on the edge by using a sharp marking knife. I then free hand the recess using a palm router with a straight bit, staying well away from the layout lines. Finally I square the recess with a chisel.


After the hinge is attached I then find the center of the front of the box. This will help me position the latch right on the center line. The nice thing about this type of latch is, it has points which lined up nicely on the center line.





Finally I positioned the handle on the lid and drilled holes for the screws. I made sure I clamped a scrap block of wood on the inside of the lid, to prevent the drill bit from causing awful tearout as the bit exits the other side.
Hang in there! We're almost there!
In the 7th and final part of this project I will be applying a finish to the box, so please return!
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan





No comments: