Gallery

22 November 2010

Alberta Rose Recipe Box - Part 5

Hi Everyone!



Well it's glue-up time! A time when you really see what your joints are made of...or maybe how well your joints are made. In this part I will demonstrate a stress-free way to glue the box joints of the recipe box...well maybe a LESS stressful way to glue-up box joints.


Since there are so many glue surface points when using box joints, it can get a little bit stressful when you have to apply glue to so many surfaces in such a short amount of time. And when you have to bring 4 sides together it can get downright ugly! That's the reason why I do my glue-up in stages. Sure it takes a bit longer, but trust me you'll have your sanity still in tact at the end of it all! And a sane woodworker is a happy woodworker :)
I first made some clamping aides or blocks and it is basically a mitered block fastened to a piece of scrap board as seen above. These aides allows me to bring clamping pressure to the corners where it is most needed.

The photo above shows both sub-assemblies glued and cured.




Now the beauty of this method of glue-up is that I only have 2 corners to worry about instead of 4! The final assembly came together in a snap! Just the way I like it!




After the final assembly is taken out of the clamps I flush the excess material of the box joints using a sharp chisel.




After the box joints have been flushed and the all the box sides have been cleaned up with various grits of sandpaper, I then cut the top away using the tablesaw. Just as I have done in an earlier project, I leave just a sliver of wood to be cut away later with a handsaw.
Well we are almost there! Please come back for part 6!
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan



No comments: