Gallery

11 November 2010

Alberta Rose Recipe Box - Part 4

Hi All,

In this part of the project I will focus on scrolling out the rose design. I will be using the drill press equipped with a 1/16" diameter drill bit to drill the blade entry holes. I will also cut a walnut backer piece to insert into the recess that was routed out in part 3. So let's get started!



As you will soon see, all interior cuts in a particular pattern or design requires a hole for the scroll saw blade to be threaded through. This rose design is no different. I do recommend that you use a drill press instead of a hand held drill to perform this task. A drill press will give you much better accuracy and ensures that the hole is drilled at a perfect right angle to the work piece. This accuracy is very important with a delicate design such as this. I always use a scrap backer piece to prevent awful tearout at the back of the piece.

For this design I used a # 2/0 blade since the cuts are so fine. I always like to start with the most delicate cuts first, if at all possible. It's always a good idea to leave larger surface interior cuts for the very last.


Voila! Here we have the finished rose cut-out! Not too shabby huh?




Now to the back of the cut-out. Remember the recess I cut in an earlier part? Well now would be a good time to fill it. I cut a nice piece of contrasting walnut to the exact dimensions of the opening on the tablesaw.


However, before I was ready to glue it in place I had to clean up the back of the cut-out. I simply got rid of any burrs by giving the back a light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper.
Well that's about it for this part. Please return for part 5 of the Alberta Rose Recipe Box, when I will be ready for the big glue up!
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan



2 comments:

Heather said...

It's incredible! I loved the design before...now I love it even more!

RM said...

Fantastic! I'm glad you love it! I must say I love it too :)