Gallery

05 July 2011

Custom Orchid Picture Frames - Part 1

Hi Everyone,

I have an exciting project to share with you! I have been asked to make a pair of 18 inch square picture frames based on my orchid design. The frames will be hung side by side on the wall and one frame will hold a vertical photo while the other will hold a horizontal one. I had to come up with a way to balance the vertical with the horizontal within a square frame (the original design is rectangular and it holds a 4 x 6 photo) so I tweaked my design a bit to accommodate this challenge.
   

My proposal to the client showing the two frames side by side and the full size pattern in background.
The pattern will be temporarily bonded to the top part of the frame.

Using the shop made crosscut sled with a stop block clamped to fence to cut all parts true and square.

Using the drill press to drill blade entry holes for the scroll saw blade. Before I did this however I
taped a scrap backer to prevent tear-out on the back of the cut out. 
At the scroll saw cutting out the pattern. Since this is a large piece I have to  take extra care with my cuts.

The almost completed cut-out with the scrap backer removed. I will temporarily attach the cut-out to the bottom part of the frame to cut out the window and the last orchid.
Please join me next time to see the frames come together!

Thanks for looking!

Roshaan

No comments: