Gallery

21 October 2010

Heather's Netbook Cherry wood box-Part Final

Hi Everyone!

Well I am finally done with the netbook cherry wood box! The last week I spent oiling the box with a Danish oil finish. I also finished the box off with a rich plush felt liner to cushion the netbook while it is stored and especially during travel.


I applied about 5 coats of the oil finish over about a week's time. Notice the difference between the unfinished cherry to the left and the cherry with one coat of oil applied to the piece on the right. I love using an oil finish to bring out the natural beauty and richness of the wood's color and grain. Although the cherry is still a bit light in color, over time it will age to a nice reddish tone making the contrast of the maple splines pop even more.



The inside of the box received a felt liner to cushion the netbook. The felt was a breeze to apply because it already had a peel and stick backing. All I had to do was cut the felt parts to the exact dimensions of the inside of the box. I first applied the bottom and then proceeded to apply the sides.

After the felt was applied, I re-attached the stop hinge and the latches. I did however had to clear the dried oil from the screw holes with a drill bit.

I am happy with how the box turned out and I hope my client will be as well.

Thanks for joining me!

Roshaan

2 comments:

JZPD said...

The netbook box was Heather's Christmas gift to me, and I am absolutely floored by the craftsmanship and quality (although, I really shouldn't have been seeing as how she gave me on of your wonderful boxes for my ebook reader, it still gets many wonderful comments) The neatbook (an Asus t91Mt convertible) fits like a glove
Thanks for such a wonderful piece of work!

RM said...

I am absolutely thrilled that you like the netbook box and is still using the ebook reader box! It is always such a pleasure working with Heather to create one of a kind pieces for her loved ones :)Thank you!