Gallery

30 September 2010

Heather's Netbook Cherry wood Box-Part 1

Hi Everyone!


Welcome to part 1 of my new custom request! I love custom pieces, simply because it keeps me on my toes and sometimes it throws you some pretty wacky curve balls. It also gives me great pleasure to know that it will be treasured and well used by my clients for many years to come.


Well, let's get started!





I honestly believe that the process is just as important as the outcome. Therefore I take great care in the preparation of any project. I first start with a drafted drawing as you all know, but I also start with a list of steps or tasks to be completed and in the exact order it needs to be completed. I call it my flow chart. I do this to keep the project in line and on time.

Speaking of which the flow chart for the box told me to first make a panel wide enough for the top of the box. This consisted of gluing up 3 separate boards of wood edge to edge to make the panel large enough. I simply used masking tape to join the boards. I then flipped the assembly over and exposed the seam, by simply using a wooden screw clamp to keep the seam open.



I needed to keep the seam open, so that I could apply some glue to the joint as seen in the above photo.


After the glue was applied, I simply removed the clamp to close up the joint. See the nice bead of glue squeezing out of the joint? This illustrates a successful glue-up! Since I have 3 boards to glue together, I waited for the first pair to cure, before I was ready to glue the final board.



While the glue was setting up on the panels, I then turned my attention to the box sides. I cut the miter joints on the box sides, by using a table saw with the blade tilted at a 45 degree angle. I cut a miter on one end of each side first and then clamped a stop block to miter the sides to the exact same length.

Before I went on to the next step, I did a dry-clamp of the box sides to evaluate the fit of the joints. Everything looked good, so now I was ready to move on...but you'll have to come back for part 2 :)
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan

No comments: