Gallery

16 September 2010

Cherry Blossom Sideboard Part 7

Hi Everyone!

It's down to the final few steps! In this part I will tackle cutting the recessed finger pulls in the two sliding doors. I will also show part of the glue-up process and finally I will cut the tapers on the legs after the carcass is assembled.



As you can see in the above photo, I used the table saw equipped with a dado stack to carefully cut the recessed finger pulls. I had to make sure that all the pulls were in the exact same position on the door.

One issue that became apparent from the start, was the unsightly burn marks that came from using this method. I applied a little elbow grease by using a chisel as a wood scraper to get the recess cleaned up in a snap.



Now came the moment of truth! The dreaded glue-up! I always get a little bit of a panic attack when I have to do a glue-up, especially something this large. You have a small window of opportunity to bring everything together to clamp, since the glue dries very quickly. For that reason, I like to glue-up smaller sub-assemblies and bring these assemblies together for a final glue-up. The above photo shows the glued up top web-frame, bottom and center gable. I also glued up the shelves to the sides in seperate assemblies.



After a successful glue-up...phew!... I proceeded to taper the legs. First I made a mdf template of the angle of the taper. This process is quite similar to cutting the curve on the front rail. I then took the template to draw a line of the angle on the leg and used a jig saw to cut about a 1/8" outside of that line. Ps...the jig saw does not cut by itself. I made sure the saw was turned off when I took this photo.




I finally took the mdf template and used double sided tape to attach it on the line that was drawn earlier. I used the router equipped with a flush trim bit to finish off the taper to a smooth finish.
Well, this concludes the woodworking part of the sideboard. I still have to cut out the cherry blossom design on the front door panels and then I will be ready to stain and apply a finish.
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan







No comments: