Gallery

23 February 2011

Raven inlay Jewelry and Make-up Boxes-Part 5

Hi Everyone!



Well, the duo of boxes are really starting to take shape. Speaking of which, in this part I will shape the bottom of the boxes to add a touch of flair to the plain sides.



I start by laying out some lines and curves, first using my nifty ruler stop to mark a consistant line from the bottom edges. I then use a combination square to mark a layout line from the ends of the boards.




With an appropriate sized washer I draw on the shape of the curve. I could have made up a template, but since I only have a few pieces to work with, it was not feasible for me to spend the time. If for instance I had quite a bit to do a template would have been the better way to go.


To save time, I stack two sides together with some double sided tape, making sure that everything lines up. A great allignment tool is a simple shopmade right angle jig to make sure that everything lines up.



A scroll saw is a great tool to cut away the waste. I do make sure that I stay about 1/32" away from the layout lines. I will flush everything up later with a router.




I install a 3/8" diameter straight router bit in my router table to flush up and remove the rest of the waste. I allign the fence an appropriate distance away from the router bit to get the desired curve.
Thank you for joining me for part 5! Please make sure to stay tuned for part 6.
Thanks for looking!
Roshaan





No comments: